When the sun is shining, and the skies are clear, it's the perfect time to embark on a spring and summer adventure!
However, if you're planning to travel with leather bag, luggage and accessories, it's probably worthwhile to note that there are specific challenges that warm weather can pose:
- Dehydration: High temperatures and arid conditions can cause leather to dry out and lose its natural oils, leading to cracking and stiffness.
- Stains and discolouration: Sweat, sunscreen, and other summer elements can cause stains and discolouration on leather surfaces.
- Mold and mildew: Humidity, combined with lack of ventilation, can create the perfect environment for mold and mildew to develop on leather items.
But fret not, here're some tips to help you protect and care for them:
Pre-trip preparation: Before your trip, give your leather items a thorough cleaning and conditioning. Use a leather cleaner to remove dirt and grime, and then apply a suitable leather conditioner to keep the leather supple and moisturised. Make sure they are completely dry before packing.
Note: You don't have to do it before every trip, just make sure they're not in any prone-to-dry-out condition before that.
- Choose the right belongings: Opt for bags, luggages and travel accessories made from lightweight and breathable leather, such as top-grain or genuine leather. Perforated leather can be an excellent choice as it allows for better air circulation.
- Use leather protection: Apply a leather protector or water-repellent spray to create a barrier against moisture and stains. Ensure you choose a product that is suitable for your specific type of leather.
- Pack strategically: When packing leather items, use dust bags or soft, breathable materials to cover and protect them. Avoid over-packing, which can cause leather to stretch or deform.
- Air circulation: Ensure that leather items have access to fresh air by not packing them too tightly. If you're using a suitcase, use the built-in ventilation panels if available.
- Avoid direct sunlight: When you arrive at your destination, refrain from leaving your leather luggage or accessories in direct sunlight for extended periods. Heat and UV rays can damage and fade leather over time.
- Regular cleaning: During your trip, periodically wipe down leather items with a clean, damp cloth to remove sweat, sunscreen, or other contaminants. Be sure to dry them thoroughly before storing.
- Stain removal: Carry a small leather cleaning kit or leather wipes with you to address any stains or marks immediately. This will help prevent permanent damage.
- Keep it hydrated: If you notice that the leather is becoming dry or stiff during your trip, apply a small amount of leather conditioner to keep it moisturized. Ensure that the conditioner is fully absorbed before using the item.
- Proper storage: When not in use, store your leather items in a cool, dry place with good air circulation. Avoid keeping them in damp and enclosed spaces, which can encourage mould growth.
It's not too hard to protect your leather belongings from the challenges of traveling in hot climates. Just take note of the points above and not only will your leather items remain in excellent condition, but they will also be ready for your next adventure.
Safe travels, and enjoy your warm-weather getaway in style!
For any questions, simply email us at info[at]littlelusso[dot]com[dot]au!